An average person would always relate the ultrasound Test the examination wherein the hard tissues of the body are to be detected. Some of them may also be of the opinion that the ultrasound test is done to check the fetus health inside mother's womb. An ultrasound of heart is relatively less known test and yet one cannot downplay its importance in detecting the heart ailments. An ultrasound clinic is the place to go to for the test. Let us take a look as to what are the conditions of the heart that can be detected by a heart ultrasound.
One of the most common problems has been the heart murmurs. Similarly, to diagnose and determine the valve condition, ultrasound test is very much required. Other minor and major conditions wherein you have to go for ultrasound are:
· Detection of the presence of abnormalities in heart's structure.
· Size and thickness measurement of the heart and its chamber.
· Ultrasound for heart is also done to examine the motion of the chamber walls and the extent of damage which has been caused to the heart muscle post heart attack.
· Assessment with regard to how different parts of the heart are functioning in patients with chronic heart disease
· Look for Congestive Heart Problems. Also the presence of tumor in the heart can be identified in the same test.
· Assess for and monitor congenital defects
· Evaluation of blood flow through the heart is also done in the ultrasound lab.
· In the pre-heart transplant cases, the ultrasound test check for the major blood vessels have been damaged by traumatic injury
· Cardiomyopathy, a problem in the heart muscle can also be determined.
· The heart might suffer from the problem of abnormal heart rhythms known as arrythmias
· Assess EF –ejection fraction levels (heart flow)
Moreover, the ultrasound lab can also rule out these abnormalities.
Popularity of heart ultrasound
There are several reasons that contribute to the popularity heart ultrasound (also known as cardiac ultrasound). Other than being a test which does not involve a sedative for echo, ultrasound for heart is:
· It does not involve the injection of a dye in a regular echo. It can be used to enhance an echo (contrast echo), but it is hardly a necessity for all echocardiograms.
· Unlike MRI scan, the patient is not put into a closed chamber table at the time of the procedure. Echo is conducted whilst the patient lies on a comfortable table.
· The ultrasound lab always has the availability of Echo scanning equipment that uses the advanced technology. This technology may not be available in every healthcare setting.
· This is the most accepted procedure of diagnosis of heart health, a variety of heart diseases and ailments. Age is not a factor when it comes to the use of echo in any stage of life.
· There is zero involvement of radiation exposure in the echo.
Given the fact that over millions of people in the world succumbs to heart failure and other similar ailments, the cardiac ultrasound must be conducted whenever needed.