This disease is the leading cause of death both in men and women. It causes maximum number of deaths not only in India but all over the world. One in every four death is caused by this disease. According to statistics this disease accounts for 17.3 million deaths each year and this number is expected to increase to more than 23.6 million by 2030. Do you know which disease is being talked about here?
Read on to find out.
Today in India, fewer people are dying from pneumonia and diarrheal diseases because the top position is occupied by some other disease. Ischemic heart disease also called coronary heart disease is the leading cause of death worldwide.
What is Ischemic heart disease?
Ischemic heart disease is a condition of repetitive chest pain which occurs when any part of heart is not able to receive sufficient blood. This generally occurs during exercise, excitement or strain because these are some conditions in which your heart demands maximum blood flow.
These are some common symptoms of coronary heart disease
- Chest pain (or angina): Are you suffering from any physical or emotional stress? Chest pain (also known as angina) is a condition in which you may feel tightness or pressure in your chest as if something heavy has been put on it and is generally caused by physical or emotional stress.
- Shortness of breath: If the heart is not able to pump sufficient blood to meet the needs of your body, there could be chances that you may develop fatigue or shortness of breath.
- Cardiac Arrest: Cardiac arrest may cause complete blockage of coronary artery. Its most prominent symptoms include severe pressure in chest and pain in arm or shoulder, sometimes along with sweating and shortness of breath.
Coronary heart diseases may be caused by various factors like:
- High Cholesterol: High level of cholesterol in blood can swell the risk of atherosclerosis and plaques formation in blood.
- High blood pressure: High blood pressure results in thickening and hardening of arteries because of which the channel through which blood can flow become narrow.
- Smoking: The risks of coronary diseases are generally higher in people who smoke.
- Diabetes: The risk of heart disease or stroke is two times more in diabetic people than in others.
What could be the reason that the risk of coronary diseases is rapidly increasing?
Rapidly changing lifestyle, unhealthy choices of food and constantly changing food habits like intake of food such as cheese, food rich in fats, late breakfast and dinner are principal factors in increasing the abdominal obesity, waist-to-hip ratio, a main risk factor for coronary heart disease.
Can heart Diseases be cured?
Yes, heart diseases can be cured by inviting changes in your lifestyle like:
- Quit Smoking
- Follow a Healthy Diet
- Be Physically Active
- Maintain a Healthy Weight
Not only these, you need to get regular health check up done for leading a healthy life and increasing the number of years you will spend on earth.