The Ultrasound Test is performed to diagnose and reveal several important information lying within your body for the treatment of different disease. The Ultrasound machine uses high-frequency sound waves to generate images of the structures of scanned body parts. This is also known by the name of Sonography.
An ultrasound scan is performed by putting an ultrasound device outside your body while in some cases an ultrasound device needs to be placed inside your body.
Below are the reasons for which you need to go for an ultrasound:
Ultrasound is used to know the condition of your body from the inside. It is used to do several things such as:
· To check the uterus and ovaries of pregnant women.
· To check the growth of developing baby inside the womb.
· To detect gallbladder disease.
· To check the flow of blood inside your body.
· In the treatment of a tumor.
· To diagnose breast lump.
· To check the thyroid gland.
· To find out prostate and genital problems.
· To find out metabolic bone diseases.
· To help to access joint inflammation.
What is the Risk factor associated with an Ultrasound Scan?
An ultrasound scan is a risk-free procedure that uses low power sound waves. Not any particular is detected till now. But besides being a valuable machine, it has a few limitations. One of them being that the sound waves could not travel through air and bone. Hence it cannot work well on body parts that contain gases or covered by bones like head and lungs.
How to prepare for Ultrasound Clinic?
There is no specific preparation required for an ultrasound. But a few cases need guidance such as:
· In the case of gallbladder ultrasound, your doctor may tell you not eat or drink water at least six hours before the exam.
· While in pelvic ultrasound you will need to drink up to six glass of water and do not go for urination to the examination ends as the full bladder is required.
· Kids need additional preparation. Once you reach in ultrasound clinic ask your doctor for precautions to be taken.
· Wear hospital gown or loose clothes.
· Take off or leave at home all metal jewelry and accessory.
How ultrasound image is produced?
The doctor assigned for the test will apply gel on the area which is to be scanned. The gel restricts the production of air pockets which blocks the sound waves that create images. The gel can be easily removed with cloth or cotton.
The doctor used to press a small device on the area to be scanned to capture images. This small device is known as a transducer. The transducer is used to send sound waves in the body and it captures the image which one will bounce back and then send it computer to take its printout.
In case of a pregnancy ultrasound, a probe is used to combine with the transducer which then inserted into the natural opening of your body to capture images.
An Ultrasound machine plays a revolutionary role in the world of medical science. It is the most convenient way to capture structural images of your internal body parts and helps doctors and surgeons to provide accurate medication and treatment for fast recovery.