With the increase in the number of breast cancer cases in India, the fear of cancer is on the rise. One cannot prevent breast cancer but can increase the survival rates by being informed and choosing the right treatment at the right time. Patients diagnosed with breast cancer need planned and systemic therapy, which is personalized based on their cancer condition.
The startling facts about breast cancer
Here are some alarming facts about breast cancer in India that will help patients understand breast cancer and the reason to opt for a personalized treatment:
• Breast cancer comes across as the most common form of cancer in women in India.
• Breast cancer is the most common cancer in most cities and the second most common in rural India.
• Breast cancer has affected 25% to 32% of female cancers in all cities across India.
• In India, breast cancer claims the life of a woman every 4 minutes.
• One woman dies of breast cancer, every 13 minutes in India.
• An estimated 70,218 women died of breast cancer in India, in the year 2012, the highest in the world for that year.
• Only 60% of women, who are treated for breast cancer, survive for at least five years post-treatment in India as compared to 89% in the US.
• The high mortality rate is due to the lack of awareness and delay in screening and diagnosis.
• More than 50% of breast cancer patients in India are suffering from stage 3 and 4, where the chances of survival are extremely low.
• India sees a spurt in the cases of breast cancer in the age group of 30 to 50, and the same is likely to increase.
• Breastfeeding often interrupts periods, which leads to fewer menstrual cycles and less estrogen exposure, leading to about a 4.3 percent reduction in the overall risk of breast cancer for every 12 months of breastfeeding.
• According to the National Institute of Health, breast cancer survivors are at an increased risk of osteoporosis. Estrogen acts as a barrier of protection on bones, and reduced estrogen levels can trigger bone loss.
The needful to be done for breast cancer
Breast cancer cannot be prevented but it can surely be treated within time. Here are some ways with which we can be aware and spread awareness as well.
- Be aware and spread about breast cancer diagnosis, symptoms, breast cancer recurrence tests, and the right treatment.
- Learn about self-tests and regularly examine your breasts on your own.
- Visit an oncologist if you feel any abnormalities in your breasts.
- Early detection is a blessing. It can hasten the process of treatment for breast cancer and this can give you the chance to live a healthy life post-recovery.
- Stage 1 and 2 breast cancer patients are eligible to take breast cancer recurrence prediction test to find out their recurrence risk score.
- Depending on the score, the doctor and patient can personalize their treatment.
Talk to more people and spread the word about breast cancer, treatments and medical tests that can help in personalizing breast cancer treatment by letting the patient know their breast cancer recurrence risk score.