It is more of a common problem that we face these days irrespective of what age bracket we come under. Waking up after a good night's sleep, we experience a certain kind of stiffness in the leg muscles in areas like ankles, calves and even knee caps. Commonly known as leg cramps, the pain is also known as “charley horse. The pain can be and can happen when a muscle gets involuntarily stiff and can’t relax. The condition is more of a nuisance as we age. If the pain gets to the unbearable ranges, a CT scan must be obtained to check what the condition and bone health are.
The reasons for leg cramps are quite a lot. Some of the common ones include:
- Lack of hydration- We have seen many a time an athlete is down on the ground due to a sudden leg cramp and muscle pull. This point to nothing but hydration. The liquid flow in the body is needed to keep the muscle's constituent's intact.
- Lack of adequate nutrition- It is a necessity to have a balance of electrolytes (calcium, sodium, potassium, and magnesium) for the contraction and relaxation of a muscle. But the same should not be done by self-treating with supplements. If you take an excess of food supplements, it can be harmful. Hence, you must focus on the simplicity of the food eating whilst maintaining an intake of mostly complex nutrients which are not processed.
- Side-effects due to medication- Some medications such as statins and furosemide can also cause muscle cramps. It has been frequently observed among the suffering people that they complain of cramps in the legs when they begin taking a new medication. If the problems persist, consult your doctors immediately.
- Poor blood circulation- A certain amount of daily activity can improve the circulation of the entire body including that of the legs. Lack of walking or even excessive leg activity for that matter can cause hurt in your legs. Therefore, the initial bout of pain in the legs should not be ignored and must be consulted with an orthopedic doctor.
- Ignoring exercises like stretching- After a long hour of sleep, the body does tend to develop uneven postures that can add to the problem of leg cramps. One should not start off without a stretching exercise to ease the muscles before a strenuous day.
One of the most important things that we tend to forget is the fact that our muscle for legs does most of the balancing act. It is the legs that carry the weight of the entire body. Therefore, even a bit of discomfort in the leg muscle must not be ignored. For the problems that are impending for long should be tested in an MRI scan to figure if these are ominous signs to something threatening. Seek the services of the MRI scan centers in West Delhi which can obtain clear images of the concerned area.