The full form of CT Scan is Computed Tomography scan. You can call it a specialized x-ray that can produce and show you the cross-sectional images of any particular part of your body. When it is done for the abdomen area, then it is known as abdominal CT Scan.
Some Vital Points to Be Noted
Some critical points you must know regarding CT Scan Abdomen before you go through this test.
• When a doctor suspects that there can be some abnormalities in the abdomen area of an individual, then he can advise for abdominal CT Scan.
• If you have any dye allergies, then you must inform your doctor about the same before you go for this test.
• In general, an abdominal CT scan takes 30 to 45 minutes to be done, and it takes 24 hours to prepare the report.
What Is The Purpose Of Having CT Scan
When your doctor suspects that something is wrong inside your abdomen and need a closer and clearer view of that area, then he can ask for a CT Scan. There are some symptoms due to which a doctor can advise you for this medical examination.
1. Pain in the abdominal area
2. To check the size and the location of the stones present in kidneys
3. To check palpable mass in the abdominal area
4. Unexplained weight loss
5. To detect appendicitis
6. To detect other abdominal infections
7. Injuries inside the abdominal
8. Blood clots
9. Recent cancer diagnosis
10. To check any obstruction in the intestinal area
Once the doctor gets the report of your CT scan, then he can check the same, and understand the cause of having any of these issues that are mentioned above. Sometimes, the doctor may suggest having the CT scan in between a treatment process to check the progress of that treatment on your body or the abdomen.
Process Of CT Scan
There is a certain machine used in CT scan. The device circles your body and sends its images to a computer which is adjoined with that device. Then those images will be viewed by a technician. Each of these images is viewed as a cross-section image so that it can provide the medical professionals with alternate views of your body.
Through an abdominal CT scan, the doctors are able to see the vessels, organs, and bones of your body in the cavity of the abdomen.
How To Get Prepared For This Test?
In general, the doctors ask the patients to fast for 2 to 4 hours before the test beings. They may also ask you to stop particular medication before this test. Since you will be needed to lie down on the best to go through this test; hence, you should wear something comfortable and loose. You should not wear any jewelry or other items when going through a CT scan.